Wedding Announcer Forums

Wedding Announcer Forums (http://www.weddingannouncer.com/forum/index.php)
-   Intercultural & Interfaith Relationships (http://www.weddingannouncer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Are you and your partner from two different religions (http://www.weddingannouncer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3791)

linnyleer 03-13-2006 08:49 AM

Are you and your partner from two different religions

Just seeing what the religious aspects of peoples relationships are.

I'm Catholic and my H2B is Baptist, but neither of us are really followers, we were just born into it. Which is lucky cause if I don't get married in a Catholic Church, the church doesn't recognise the marriage. And we're getting married outside in a garden and just having a celebrant.

DeliaSterne 03-13-2006 09:25 AM

Well, we are both from the Christian faith, just different denominations. I am a Methodist and he is Dutch Reformed.

Both of us had bad experiences at the churches we attended as young kids and as a result neither of us has really been to church for many years. However, we both agreed that Church is important and we do want to get married in a church. We also felt it important that we go to church together as a couple.

He was adamant that he did not want to go back to his church. I would never go back to the one I went to, but my mom was going to a new one which is really nice (still Methodist) so that was an option.

Between the two of us we researched all the denominations and decided we would either go for Methodist or Anglican. We eventually decided against Anglican because it was too strict, and also after speaking to some colleagues of his who either were or had been Anglican we decided that we may not like it as much as we thought.

We have been going to St. Marks Methodist Church and are very happy there so far. They are a bit more relaxed and progressive than some of the more old school churches I was used to, but they are not over the top, and everyone is really friendly. So, so far so good :-)

SoonToBeWed 03-13-2006 04:37 PM

I guess you can say we are from two religious backgrounds. He is was raised and is an active member of the United Methodist church. I on the other hand prior to us getting together stepped foot in a church about 3 times in my life. Basically I had not religious up-bringing at all. Due to my past I have had to deal with my personal inner issues with accepting God. At this point I have not joined the church but will before we are married (just not sure when). I have explained to him that I still have issues with the whole God and religion thing not only because of my abusive child hood but also because one of my foster mothers was a born again and I could not stand her, she drove me nuts and I found her and still find religion hipicritial (this is nothing against anyone, just my own personal opinion from my experiences).

I have come around a bit though. Heck when we first got together I would never have imagined even stepping foot in the church let alone attending on a frequent basis and coming around to accepting the church and the beliefs of FH and family.

Faerievert 03-13-2006 04:49 PM

He grew up baptist in Alabama in a church larger than my high school, larger than all the schools in my district as a matter of fact. Their services were very modern. I went to a very small United Methodist church with very traditional services, though more progressive beliefs. He's a little disenchanted with religion at the moment, but will try to find a church together after we're married and settled somewhere (probably a methodist church with a more contemporary worship style, but I could live with baptist if I like the minister, and I would really love it if there was a Unitarian Universalist one to go to, but they're not as commom.

bjandamanda 03-13-2006 07:50 PM

We're not from different faiths, but he's far more "into" it than I am. So are both of our families. I like our church a lot, but I don't put much stock in the Bible or going to church regularly, which he dislikes. He wants us to all go to church every Sunday as a family, but I don't see the point.

gunrock 03-13-2006 09:16 PM

I am Methodist and he is Catholic. He decided he wanted to get married in the Catholic church so we talked about it and I have decided to convert. I am really not that religious so it didn't matter to me one way or the other.

MrsCelentano07 03-22-2006 02:33 AM

I was Catholic, but after years of investigating, I converted to LDS/mormon (something I've always wanted) just under a month ago. (02.26.06), and he was born into and was raised Baptist.

We are getting married outside for a few reasons:

a) LDS temples will not let anyone who isn't LDS into a temple.. and I'm the only LDS/mormon at my wedding and
b) I've always wanted an outside wedding.

Neither of us have any problems, however he is considering converting.

Sabby12s 03-22-2006 02:38 AM

Both of our parents are Catholic but neither one of us was raised Catholic. We're both atheists.

Schladr30 03-23-2006 03:20 PM

Jeremy and I do have different faiths, but are religious and believe that the center of a marriage is God. I grew up Catholic and he was Protestant...so VERY different. We grew up in the type of families that believed that a "family who prays together, stays together." We tend to believe it since our parents have both been married for 32 years (mine) and 35 years (his). Faith is very important to us...we don't announce it, it is just something that is personal and private between us. In other words, we don't push people to believe what we do...I find that almost offensive. Rambling on and on sorry!! haha

pureevil 03-23-2006 03:24 PM

My Fiance is a good Catholic & I don't believe in "god".
Him being Catholic doesn't bug me & he realizes that everyone has their own opinions so we don't argue about it or anything...the best part is that he respects my beliefs & doesn't try to "save" me!