Go Back   Wedding Announcer Forums > After & Around The Wedding > Your Health
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Mr. Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleybx83
I personally believe the media is blowing this way out of proportion, and pharmecutical companies are loving the profits. The "seasonal" flu kills between 250-500 thousand people every year, the H1N1 to date this year has killed 5,335 people. That's not even 1/2 a percent of the lowest average of people killed by the "seasonal" flu. I'm not saying that I want anyone to die, and that people shouldn't be careful, but I think this whole thing is getting a bit out of hand.

I'm not getting the shot and Izzy's not getting the shot. I especially wouldn't get the shot if I were pregnant.
(and ditto to what Kirsten said.)

I agree with you here that it is being blown out of proportion. But with that said i have ALWAYS gotten a season flu shot because of my asthma. I have pretty bad asthma, so when i get the flu i get it bad!

I don't know what to do.... I guess I have to go with my gut and with the advice of my doctor's

Old 10-27-2009, 07:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to MrsWarren2B
I don't live in Canada but I have asthma and I don't get the seasonal flu shot. I personally catch the flu only the times when I get vaccinated for it! I know the "experts" say that isn't true but I always get the flu so much worse when I get the shot. My asthma is mild though so it's different for me.

I know for Clara the ped didn't recommend it because she believes they pushed it through trials too fast when they were developing the vaccine. I'm a little scared of the vaccine too just because it's so new that they do not know the side effects. I'm not saying that nobody should get the shot but I just don't think it's right for my family.

Last edited by MrsWarren2B : 10-27-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:02 PM
Yeppppa!!!

Send a message via AIM to lovecat4984 Send a message via MSN to lovecat4984 Send a message via Yahoo to lovecat4984
I have asthma and I will not be getting either flu shot.. My Mother would always make sure me and my sibilings got the flu shot and I used to get so sick. I haven't had a flu shot in 4 years and I have yet to get sick.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:59 PM

The flu shot contains dead viruses, so you can't ge tthe flu from the shot. The nose spray contians live viruses, so I would be leery of that.

I always get flu shots and never get sick from them, so I will get a seasonal flu shot again this year, most likely this weekend.

I am still waffling on the swine flu shot, although an attorney at work got swine flu and is pretty miserable, so I am leaning towards getting a swine flu shot once they are widely available.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to MrsWarren2B
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenh
The flu shot contains dead viruses, so you can't ge tthe flu from the shot. The nose spray contians live viruses, so I would be leery of that.

I know you can't get the flu from the shot but the shot doesn't contain all the strains of flu so I always got sick anyway because the strain I came down with was not included in the vaccine.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsWarren2B
I know you can't get the flu from the shot but the shot doesn't contain all the strains of flu so I always got sick anyway because the strain I came down with was not included in the vaccine.

Yeah, that's the downside of flu shots. They have to guess which ones are going to be most prevalent during flu season.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:50 PM
Alana Nikole Barker

That's a NO for me. There have been NO STUDIES done in pregnant women and no long term side effects known at this time. This vaccine was too rushed to satisfy the public that was freaking out. It takes 12-18 months to safely develop a vaccine from start to finish. The outbreak was just last April. I also heard the vaccine also contains small amounts of mercury and fermaldihide in its preservatives depending on which manufacturer made it. Sorry, I'm not putting that into my and my babys system. I'm just going to take my chances and do good handwashing. Just my own opinion!
Old 10-27-2009, 11:52 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to MelissaandJames
We had to get the regular and the H1N1 as per our employment. Well actually they can't require it but they told us if we did not get it and came down with the flu we had to take un-paid sick leave. But I've seen 30-50 patients with the flu every day I've worked and I'm not sick (yet of course, lol), so it's working for me and I'm glad I've gotten them.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:58 PM
Alana Nikole Barker

I just signed a refusal form and am required to wear a mask when doing direct patient care...which isn't much these days since with my new nurse educator position I work in an office or from home most of the time, away from patients. We have to stay home 7 days if we get it....we can use our sick time if we want, but can choose to have it unpaid. I'm saving my sick time and every vacation hour for my maternity leave in April.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:00 AM

My co worker is 35 weeks pregnant, and she did not want the vaccine. She told her doctors this, and then they had 3 different OB's come into the exam room, and pressure her into getting it. Because they have 5 patients with it right now, one who is dieing from it. It really upset her that they did that to her

Baby Noah born 11 weeks early weighing 1 lb 15oz. 14inch's long

Closed Thread