Go Back   Wedding Announcer Forums > After & Around The Wedding > Your Health
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Mommy of 2 Princesses

General Anestesia

Has anyone ever had general anesthesia? I have to have cysts removed from my wrists on Tuesday and I'm pretty nervous. Its supposed to be a pretty fast and routine surgery but I am so worried, it didn't help that the lady called asking about living wills. I have never been under general anesthesia before and I really hate IVs and the whole sticking thing down your throat deal. Those are the 2 medical things that I NEVER wanted to mess with, it makes my skin crawl just thinking about it. So anyway I've read a few different ways they do it but I kind of wanted peoples personal experiences hopefully it will calm my nerves some.

Last edited by nmbrumbelow : 01-30-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Cutie on the beach

I don't want to scare you but this is what happened during my experience with anesthesia. I was put completely under when I had my wisdom teeth extracted. They had to surgically remove all of them because they were all impacted under the gums. I had to sign a lot of papers beforehand, one of them was saying that I agree that there is risk I could die from having the anesthesia. But I was assured nothing like that would ever happen - it's mandatory they do that though because they have to let the patient know of all the risks.

I can't remember how exactly they administered the anesthesia but I want to say it was gas, like the gas mask thing.

The last thing I remember was having to count down from 100 and that was it, and it felt like minutes I was asleep then I was awake again and I was very disoriented. I had to lay there for several minutes before I came to, then I had to be helped up and walked out. My mom drove me home. I didn't feel any pain right at first, but I was very groggy and sore on the ride home.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:28 PM

You're talking to the queen of anesthesia! LOL

I've had it more times (over 50 for surgeries alone, then countless times for "minor" procedures) than I can count, and I'm still alive and kicking! LOL

Don't let the papers and talk of wills freak you out. It's routine.

They put the IV in me, give me a "cocktail" to make me relaxed (the best drug ever! LOL), then as Denisa said, they put the mask on you and before you can finish with the number 100, you're out. And then you wake up.

You will feel groggy for a few days. And don't be surprised if you feel depressed or moody. The rule of thumb is, every hour you're out, it's like a week of depression or moodiness. Also, remember anesthesia heightens everything once it wears off. Pain. Annoyance. Etc.... DO NOT ATTEMPT to drive, walk alone, cook, etc.. for the first 24hours. And as hard as it may be, don't try to hold your little ones either, you will be weak.

Also, don't be surprised if you vomit. It's a common "side effect" of anesthesia. Not everyone does. And also don't be surprised if you wake up crying. That's another common side effect.

The person administering the anesthesia will more than likely call you the night before. Tell him/her your concerns. I freak with IV's. Like my BP rises, my heartbeat goes thru the roof, etc... But again, I came out alive everytime.

You'll be fine, just don't think about the bad things.

Last edited by kobfield2007 : 01-30-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Cutie on the beach

I woke up crying after my anesthesia, so did James when he had his wisdom teeth extracted (he was put out like I was.)
Old 01-30-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denisa
I woke up crying after my anesthesia, so did James when he had his wisdom teeth extracted (he was put out like I was.)
It's common. Never understood it, but common.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbrumbelow
Has anyone ever had general anesthesia? I have to have cysts removed from my wrists on Tuesday and I'm pretty nervous. Its supposed to be a pretty fast and routine surgery but I am so worried, it didn't help that the lady called asking about living wills. I have never been under general anesthesia before and I really hate IVs and the whole sticking thing down your throat deal. Those are the 2 medical things that I NEVER wanted to mess with, it makes my skin crawl just thinking about it. So anyway I've read a few different ways they do it but I kind of wanted peoples personal experiences hopefully it will calm my nerves some.

I had the same surgery when I was a junior in high school. It was my first time going under, well other than my wisdom teeth but that totally different. I didn't have any problems at all. When I came out of surgery I found it really hard to open my eyes. I was awake but I couldn't keep my eyes open.
As far as the throat tube thing goes, I don't remember it at all. In fact, they put it in after I was out and as they were waking me up is when they removed it. I barely remember it. I remember coughing and then it was out and I was in my room.
With my surgery they put the iv in my hand, which was extremely sore the next few days... other than that it went extremely smooth. Well... other than getting sick. They required that I eat something before I could leave so they gave me a sandwhich (which to this day I swear was the best sandwhich I've ever had in my life!!!) but about 10 minutes after I ate it, it came back up.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denisa

My brother wakes up violent. He is not a violent person by no means, but when he had his wisdom teeth removed he broke the nurses nose when he came to... after that he started warning nurses before he went under. For his knee surgery they actually strapped him down before that brought him back. lol
Old 01-30-2010, 09:25 PM
Mommy to 2 Princes

Send a message via AIM to maeberha
I had to be put under when I had surgery on my leg. They gave me something in my IV to kind of relax me, to where I was a little groggy, and then they wheeled me back to the OR. I remember vaguely the big lights, and a lot of people around me, but my vision wasn't good at all to see clearly. Then the anesthesiologist was talking to me so I wasn't nervous, like asking how my accident happened. Then he said he was going to put a mask on me, and wanted me to count down from 100. I didn't even get to 98 LOL I remember waking up and it was just like I had been asleep for a long time. I drifted in and out of sleep for maybe a couple hours. I was fully awake after about 2-3 hours and then an hour after that I was starving!

The tube thing down your throat isn't bad - they put it in after you are under and take it out before you wake up. You will just be really thirsty when you wake up and your throat will be a little scratchy

good luck!! I'm sure you'll be fine

Old 01-30-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaynaRae
My brother wakes up violent. He is not a violent person by no means, but when he had his wisdom teeth removed he broke the nurses nose when he came to... after that he started warning nurses before he went under. For his knee surgery they actually strapped him down before that brought him back. lol
I get like that too. I haven't physically hurt anymore, but I start cursing, and swinging the arms, in the midst of crying. LOL I look a lil crazed.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaynaRae
As far as the throat tube thing goes, I don't remember it at all. In fact, they put it in after I was out and as they were waking me up is when they removed it. I barely remember it. I remember coughing and then it was out and I was in my room.
Same here. That's how they wake me up normally. Shake shake, then they say cough, it's out and I'm out again too. Then they shake me more. Then I cry, puke, and I'm out again. I know the routine too well. LOL