Go Back   Wedding Announcer Forums > Planning Your Wedding Day > Non-traditional weddings
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 01:38 PM

Just how "non-traditional" is your wedding?

I just wondered how many people are having non-traditional weddings, and of those people, how non-traditional they will be? Our wedding is pretty standard, but there are a few little things that we're doing differently:

* Since we have so many mutual friends, we're having a joint stag & hen do; with a Blues Brothers theme

* We're waking up together on the morning of the wedding

* My fiance's had input on my dress, and I've had input on his suit, yet neither of use knows for sure what the other has got - I know everyone says he'll think I'm beautiful no matter what, but I've seen his reaction at other weddings, and I wanted to ensure he wouldn't think what I chose was terrible!

* While we're getting ready separately, we will see one another at the house before we leave for the register office. We're also going to see the registrar together just before the ceremony, so the wedding itself won't be the first time he sees me in my dress

* Our colour scheme is red and cream, and because I couldn't find any cream shoes without a heel; I'm wearing red patent - much to my mother's distaste

* We're having lunch at a pub in the afternoon. I'll be traipsing around the outskirts of the city in my wedding dress

* We're having an evening reception in my dad's back garden. (We would have got married there too, but in England you can only marry in a religious building, or a licensed non-religious venue. If you want to apply for a license, over the next 3yrs Joe Public can demand to marry there too, and you can't say no!)

* We're buying in all the food and drink from the local supermarket; therefore having a "serve yourself" evening
Old 03-29-2009, 01:39 PM
We're MARRIED!!

we going to be quite traditional - old fashioned clothing, in a church, classical music, traditional vows...

but we are having an early afternoon ceremony then an afternoon tea 'cocktail' reception rather than a sit down dinner that goes til late. we are serving hot soup that my dad is making with bread rolls, lots of savoury pastries, and then buns and cakes from the local bakery.

we are having mingling/eating/talking for a little while, then speeches, cake and dancing straight after each other, some more mingling, then we are nicking off to our hotel at about 6pm for a three course dinner in our room, 2 blockbuster movies with popcorn and a bottle of wine or 6 pack of beer and 30minute in room massage (which we'll prob have in the morning) See why we wanted to blow the idea of a late sit down dinner!!

oh and we arent having wedding cars since no one will really see them anyway, and the only thing that would go with the era is a horse and carriage, but it will be winter and could rain, so we are saving the expense and hassle and just going with white Mazda 6s which FHs parents and friends are lending us