Go Back   Wedding Announcer Forums > After & Around The Wedding > Your Health
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:48 PM

If I wasn't pregnant, I wouldn't even consider having the vaccine, simply because the ratio of infections versus deaths is so minimal.

I was against having it because of the unknown dangers to unborn babies, but over the past couple of weeks they've been using scare tactics, which unusually for me, is causing me to rethink my decision. I'm now unsure, because they say pregnant women's immune systems are already low, and if your temperature rises much more, then the baby is in danger. I've already had two colds since being pregnant, which have floored me. I dread to think what I would be like with SF.

Apparently (and this is what I've heard, but don't quote me on it) the jab is the same as the regular flu vaccine, which has been tested for the past 50 years. Except the H1N1 has an additional 2 ingredients, which aren't harmful.

There is more than one type of jab available. Ironically the one in the States is supposed to be safer for pregnant women than the one they're offering here in the UK. Stupid, but apparently you can request the one given in the States, since it's got a couple of dodgy ingredients taken out, which could harm the baby.

Everyone's saying different things, and I honestly don't know what to think. I'm supposed to get a letter through this week or next week inviting me to have the jab, at which point I will talk to my doctor about it.

Last edited by Eloise1984 : 10-28-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpolishgirl
I just signed a refusal form and am required to wear a mask when doing direct patient care
I know masks were given out in the States, but here in the UK they refused to give them out, saying they were pretty useless in protecting the wearer from any germs, because they still manage to come through the mask. I don't know what the truth is on this one, but I thought I'd mention it.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Mr. Man

Well i went to my family dr today. I am getting the H1N1 shot, but i won't be able to get it for a couple weeks, i have to wait for the non-adjuvant one to come out. I also got my regular seasonal flu shot today!

Old 10-28-2009, 02:48 PM
I love Jeremy

I'm definetly getting it when it becomes available. Right now my doctor's office is only giving the spray form to children ages 2-19.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:13 PM
In da Cult! What What!!

Send a message via AIM to allisonw1400 Send a message via Yahoo to allisonw1400
I will not be getting the shot.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:31 PM

Since our one attorney is out with the swine flu, my boss re-vamped our office's sick policy. If you get the flu (swine or regular) you cannot return to the office for 7 days. You can use leave (sick pay and vacation pay are lumped together) or you can make up some time working from home.

I'm kind of relieved to hear that, because I don't want anyone with the flu coming in an infecting co-workers because they are afraid of losing their job or looking bad if they stay home.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:33 PM
In da Cult! What What!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenh
Since our one attorney is out with the swine flu, my boss re-vamped our office's sick policy. If you get the flu (swine or regular) you cannot return to the office for 7 days. You can use leave (sick pay and vacation pay are lumped together) or you can make up some time working from home.

I'm kind of relieved to hear that, because I don't want anyone with the flu coming in an infecting co-workers because they are afraid of losing their job or looking bad if they stay home.

Yea I agree. Sometimes though, people have no choice! Our company started a policy that people without any sick days at all can get 2 paid days if they are sick to try to motivate people to stay home. I have sick time if its not like a crazy amount of time so I don't have to worry about it, but yea the huge part of this is containment.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:16 PM
In da Cult! What What!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karebear46168
I think more offices should re-vamp their policies for this flu thing
Agreed. My company has a whole pandemic procedure and its freakin scary. We had to take a class on it and it really got you thinkin...
Old 10-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Alana Nikole Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloise1984
I know masks were given out in the States, but here in the UK they refused to give them out, saying they were pretty useless in protecting the wearer from any germs, because they still manage to come through the mask. I don't know what the truth is on this one, but I thought I'd mention it.
I think we have the N-95's here, which block out the tiniest particles. It's interesting how rules are different from country to country. Everybody knows at work that I am pregnant, so they don't assign H1N1 patients to me anyways.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:36 PM
Alana Nikole Barker

Not to scare anyone, but my friend got the H1N1 vaccine over 2 weeks ago at work (we got 1000 vaccines to give to respiratory therapists, OB RN's, pregnant workers, etc to vaccinate them sooner since they are in a higher risk category) and had a horrible reaction to it. She got really sick for a week and just found out her baby has a cleft palate. Too soon to know if it was from the vaccine, but she is at the beginning of her 2nd trimester and is scared to death that they will find more defects.
Closed Thread