Go Back   Wedding Announcer Forums > After & Around The Wedding > Your Health
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 01:45 AM
Cutie on the beach

Need some advice, not really sure what to do

Please bear with me as this will be long...

So as some of you may know, I quit my job back in June to become a stay at home mom. Well at the time, I had health insurance through my job and obviously when I quit I no longer had the insurance through my job come the end of June. Well after I quit, I decided to hold off on getting my own individual insurance and decided I would just wait until open enrollment the beginning of this month to get added on to my hubby's insurance. Well October came around, and we ended up not being able to do it because his work raised the monthly premium and we can't afford it.

Well now I am in a predicament where I need to see a doctor to have my health checked up on, for a few reasons, and I still don't have health insurance. I was looking into individual plans again, but most individual plans do not offer preventative coverage, which I need. The ones that do offer it are again too much for us to afford.

I have looked through getting coverage through my state, but I had to have been without insurance for at least 6 months, and there's another plan that's offered through my state but we make too much to qualify. And then there's that waiting period that some insurance companies have, where I have to wait so long before certain examinations are covered.

There's a clinic in my town that takes people who have no health insurance, and they go by a sliding scale to determine what people would pay, the rest gets covered by the state. I was considering doing this, because I need to see a doctor asap. I have gone to the clinic before when I had insurance and it's a decent place.

The thing I'm worried about is that if I go and have my checkup this week, and they find something wrong or something that I need further treatment for, that it will prevent me from obtaining an individual plan when I go to get health insurance later. Because of the whole BS pre-existing condition thing.

Basically I am trying to figure out if:

*I should just get the individual plan now, and hope that everything is ok with me, which means I would have to apply for the insurance and wait until they approve me, which is a process and takes about 2 weeks. And not even be totally sure if they will approve me.

*Or I go to the doctor this week, pay for a part of the examination and also hope that they don't have to diagnose me with anything where I need to see a doctor on a regular basis, and then wait until December and apply for the state coverage. However if I go this week it will give me the piece of mind that I need.

*Lastly, one of the companies I work at home for is going to start offering health insurance coverage, but this is not until Nov. 9 that they will sent out any information, and not everyone qualifies right off the bat (you have to have done so much work for them, it's kind of complicated...) I plan on applying for it, but I have no information yet on the price of the monthly premium or what's covered. This is something new that they are offering so the details are very vague right now.

I hope this makes sense. I'm sorry this is so long, I just needed to get my thoughts out and hope that someone can lead me in a direction that would be the best, because I sure as heck don't know what to do.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to MrsWarren2B
I would try to get an individual plan. I tried getting individual coverage a few years back before I got married because the plan at work was too high. I think it was under 200 a month without the maternity benefits. But of course you have to be 100 percent sure you won't get pregnant since the insurance wouldn't cover it. Though I am sure it varies from state to state. I just think it might be best to get coverage just in case of an emergency. But if something is wrong, don't put off going to the dr. So basically what I am saying is I wouldn't put off going to the dr since your health is so important but I would also look into getting insurance if you can. Of course they charge extra for every little preexisting condition you have though so they really can screw you over. I got charged for asthma which was a given but also for acne because I had gone to a dermatologist within the last few years. I thought that was so ridiculous! Good luck with everything and I hope that everything is ok when you see the dr.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:36 AM
Cutie on the beach

I had the thought of going to the dr anyway in the back of my mind, whether or not I have to pay alot or a little and whether or not I was going to get insurance. I agree that my health is way too important...I'm calling Monday first thing to see if I can get in hopefully that day.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:23 PM
Cutie on the beach

I don't know how many people have read this thread, and even if you don't want to post it's fine, but if you could just send some good wishes my way I would appreciate it. I don't really want to get into detail what's wrong, just hoping I am okay and healthy.

I started a workout and healthy eating plan Wednesday and I am on day 4 and doing good so far. It's probably just water weight, but I have lost 2 lbs already. I am hoping that by exercising now again and eating better it will help!
Old 10-31-2009, 04:53 PM

sending good thoughts your way Denisa *hugs*

Baby Noah born 11 weeks early weighing 1 lb 15oz. 14inch's long

Old 11-01-2009, 01:13 AM
Cutie on the beach

Thanks Vanessa
Old 11-02-2009, 02:16 AM
Maid of the Mist

Keeping you in my thoughts... Hugs
Old 11-02-2009, 03:31 AM
My Goonie

Me too Denisa xox

Waiting to TTC #2 - a brother or sister for Kaden!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Cutie on the beach

Thanks Mari & Cally, I appreciate it
Old 11-02-2009, 04:10 PM

Sorry I'm late, but could you be sneaky? Like, get an individual plan and then go see a doctor *again* and act like you hadn't already been diagnosed at a clinic? They wouldn't know to look there for your records unless you told them.
Closed Thread