Go Back   Wedding Announcer Forums > After & Around The Wedding > Your Health
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:09 PM
loving the married life

Can Cough Syrup make you feel loopy?

For some reason whenever I have gotten sick in my adult life I have had this feeling that I am "stoned" or loopy sometimes. I absolutely hate the feeling so I've sworn off taking any and all medications when I get sick. I don't like this drugged up feeling!!! Anyway, I've had a terrible dry cough for the last 4 days or so. I went to the clinic yesterday and they did a swab for strep but it probably isn't that. Last night my cough kept waking me up in the night and I had to take something. I HATE cough syrup but I took it anyway. Before that I tried a spoonful of honey (which I also hate, yuck!). I was so desprate. Now I feel so out of it. Is this the cough syrup or the illness that is making me feel this way? Does anyone else get like this?
Old 01-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Mrs. Spencer!!

Send a message via AIM to brysonspencer
I get CRAZY when I take Dayquil or Nyquil....I have no idea why!!

I have heard of other people just feeling "off" when they take cough medicines, so it's annoying, but it happens!

Old 01-23-2009, 03:21 PM
My Goonie

my mum's the same way! there must be an ingredient that does it to you.

Waiting to TTC #2 - a brother or sister for Kaden!
Old 01-23-2009, 03:28 PM

I do get a little loopy.. but not that much.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Mommies Little Sweet Pea

Send a message via MSN to SoonToBeWed Send a message via Yahoo to SoonToBeWed
Most cough syrup has alcohol in it. This can make you feel loopy.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:50 PM
loving the married life

I don't feel drunk though, I feel drugged up

I took this stuff:
http://www.delsym.com/Label.aspx
Old 01-29-2009, 08:51 PM

I use Robitussin whenever I get a cough. It works and I never feel dopey or loopy, so you could try that....
Old 01-29-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doragirl
For some reason whenever I have gotten sick in my adult life I have had this feeling that I am "stoned" or loopy sometimes. I absolutely hate the feeling so I've sworn off taking any and all medications when I get sick. I don't like this drugged up feeling!!! Anyway, I've had a terrible dry cough for the last 4 days or so. I went to the clinic yesterday and they did a swab for strep but it probably isn't that. Last night my cough kept waking me up in the night and I had to take something. I HATE cough syrup but I took it anyway. Before that I tried a spoonful of honey (which I also hate, yuck!). I was so desprate. Now I feel so out of it. Is this the cough syrup or the illness that is making me feel this way? Does anyone else get like this?
Cough syrup normally has codeine in it, which acts as a cough supressant; makes sense really. So in addition to the paracetamol, sugar, alcohol and whatever else, you have the codeine.

For many people it can make you feel spaced out. It's actually part of the opiate family, and the first few times you take it, it can do this. The more you take it, the higher your resistance to it, and the less you feel it.

I don't recommend it though, unless you really need it; I took it as a painkiller for about 12 years. It's not something you want to be taking too often. It's easy to build up resistance to it, and it can be addictive.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:21 PM
loving the married life

Makes sense, thanks! I hardly ever take it because I hate the stuff but I just had this unbelievable dry cough that was keeping me up. I have to be really careful about the cough syrup I take. I have had alergic reactions to several including Robatussin.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:31 AM

Hello
This medication is used for the temporary relief of coughs caused by certain respiratory tract infections (e.g., common cold, sinusitis, bronchitis) and other breathing illnesses. This product is usually not used for ongoing cough from smoking or long-term breathing problems (e.g., chronic bronchitis, emphysema) unless directed by your doctor.Guaifenesin belongs to a class of drugs known as expectorants. It works by thinning and loosening mucus in the airways, clearing congestion, and making breathing easier.

Cough-and-cold products have not been shown to be safe or effective in children younger than 6 years. Therefore, do not use this product to treat cold symptoms in children younger than 6 years unless specifically directed by the doctor. Some products (such as long-acting tablets/capsules) are not recommended for use in children younger than 12 years. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more details about using your product safely.